P. Ladevèze is active in two domains: computational mechanics and the material modeling of composites. He was the initiator of the LATIN method and of the Proper Generalized Decomposition technique, which have paved the way to new high-performance computational strategies. He is also considered as one of the pioneers of model verification and validation using the Constitutive Relation Error method and associated equilibration techniques, which have led to guaranteed error bounds, not only for linear problems, but also for viscoplasticity problems, even in dynamics. His name is also associated with an advanced damage material model for laminated composites. Recently, he introduced the Variational Theory of Complex Rays, a new and promising computational approach to medium-frequency and high-frequency phenomena, which he is continuing to develop as a Weak-Trefftz Discontinuous Galerkin method. He has co-authored 263 papers which have been published in international scientific journals. He is also a member of the advisory editorial boards of 16 international scientific journals. His scientific research activities revolve around four main topics:
- Model verification, validation and updating: error estimators and adaptive improvements for linear as well as time-dependent nonlinear finite element analysis; modeling error and identification; lack-of-knowledge theory
- Modeling and analysis of composite materials and structures
- Mechanics-based computational strategies for nonlinear problems (the LATIN-PGD method): multiscale strategies and parallel computing
- Simplified computational methods: exact beam and plate theories; variational theory of complex rays for medium-frequency vibrations.
These problems belong primarily in the mechanical domain, but also expand into the fields of applied mathematics and materials science. Even though this work devotes much attention to the fundamental research aspects, a considerable amount of this research work, including the development of prototype software programs, is conducted in close collaboration with industry, especially the space and aeronautics industries. The practical problems treated are related to the design and the sizing process , and the reliability of the product being designed or built, and can even involve the manufacturing process used for its construction.
MAIN PLENARY AND SEMI-PLENARY LECTURES SINCE 2006 (total: 36)
- Model verification through strict upper error bounds. 9th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics (USNCCM9) e San Francisco (USA), July 22-26, 2007. Plenary lecture.
- The LATIN Method: a paradigm for multiscale and multiphysics computational methods. 8th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM8), 5th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS 2008) e Venise (Italie), June 30 - July 5, 2008. Plenary lecture.
- A multiscale Damage Model for the Analysis of Laminated Composite Structures on the Microscale. 17th Int. Conf. on Composite Materials (ICCM 17) e Edinburgh (UK), July 27-31, 2009. Semi plenary lecture.
- Emerging approaches for Virtual Testing of Laminated Composite Structures. International Seminar on Composites for Aerospace Applications e Hindustan University e Chennai (India), March 24-26, 2009. Plenary lecture.
- On a computational ewavee approach for transient dynamics and acoustics. Symposium on Computational Structural Engineering (CSE 09) e Shanghai (China), June 22-24, 2009. Plenary lecture.
- Model Verification in Dynamics through strict error bounds. First African Conference on Computational Mechanics (AFRICOM 09) e Sun City (South Africa), January 7-11, 2009. Plenary lecture.
- Virtual Structural Testing for Composites: Today and Tomorrow. IV European Conference on Computational Mechanics e Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems ECCM 10 (ECCOMAS) e Paris (France), May 16-21, 2010. Plenary lecture.
- Model verification through guaranteed upper error bounds: state of the art and challenges. Int. Conf. on Adaptive Modeling and Simulation (ADMOS 2011) e Paris (France), June 6-8, 2011. Plenary lecture.
- The simulation-driven structural design: fantasy or reality? 11th Biennial Conf. on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis (ASME 2012) - Nantes (France), July 2-4, 2012. Plenary, opening session.
- PGD-model order reduction in Computational Mechanics: basic features, verification and engineering applications. European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS 2012) - Vienna (Austria), September 10-14, 2012. Semi-plenary lecture.
- Damage virtual testing for laminated composite structures, today and tomorrow. Int. Conf. on Mechanics of Nano, Micro and Macro Composite Structures - Torino (Italy), June 18-20, 2012. Plenary lecture.
- On a Trefftz Discontinuous Galerkin method and its extension to numerical model coupling. Int. Conf. on Computational Methods for Coupled Problems in Science and Engineering (COUPLED 2013), Ibiza (Spain) 17-19 June 2013. Plenary lecture
- The Virtual Chart concept in Computational Structural Mechanics. Int Conf on Computational Plasticity (COMPLAS 2013), Barcelona (Spain), 3-5 September 2013, Plenary lecture.
- Virtual Testing of Laminated Composites : State-ofethe-Art and Challenges. ECCOMAS Thematic Conf.on the Mechanical Response of Composites (COMPOSITES 2013), Azores (Portugal), 25-27 September 2013, Plenary lecture (opening).
- PGD-reduced model: the key to the virtual testing of composites. 9th European Solid Mechanics Conference (ESMC9), Madrid (Spain), 6-10 July 2015, Plenary lecture.
- Reduced Models in Nonlinear Solid Mechanics: State-of-the-Art and Challenges. Israel Symposium on Computational Mechanics (ISCM39), Haifa (Israel), November 12-13, 2015, plenary.
- Reduced Order Models in Nonlinear Solid Mechanics: State-of-the-Art and Challenges. Sandia National Laboratories, June 16, 2016, Albuquerque (USA), plenary.
- Extended-PGD model reduction for nonlinear solid mechanics problems involving many parameters. COMPLAS2017, September 5-7, 2017, Barcelona (Spain), plenary.
- Multiscale modeling an design of laminated composites: state-of-the-art and challenges. 20th International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS20), September 4-7, 2017, Paris (France), plenary opening.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS, INCLUDING
- P. Ladeveze. Non linear Computational Structural Mechanics e New Approaches and Non-Incremental Methods of Calculation, Springer-Verlag, New York 1999 (english translation by J.G. Simmonds of eMecanique non lineaire des structures e Nouvelle approche et methodes de calcul non incrementalese, Hermes, 300p, 1996).
- P. Ladeveze, J.-P. Pelle, Mastering calculations in linear and non linear mechanics, Springer Verlag, New York, 2000 (english translation by T. Strouboulis of eLa maetrise du calcul en mecanique lineaire et non lineairee, Hermes, 408p, 2001).
- P. Ladeveze, D. Neron, J.-C. Passieux. On multiscale computational mechanics with time-space homogenization. Bridging the scales in Science and Engineering, Chapter Space-Time Scale Bridging methods, pp247e282. Ed. J. Fish, Oxford University Press, 2009.
- P. Ladeveze, D. Neron. Chapter eMultiscale methodse in Vol. 3 of Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, Ed. R. Blockley et W. Shyy, Wiley, 2010.
- P. Ladeveze, A. Barbarullo, H. Riou, L. Kovaleski. The variational theory of complex rays, Chapter 5 in Mid-Frequency, Eds. W. Desmet, B. Pluymers, O. Atak, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, pp155-201, 2012.
- P Ladeveze, PGD in linear and nonlinear computational solid mechanics, in Separated representations and PGD-based model reduction, Eds F. Chinesta and P. Ladeveze, CISM 554, Springer, 91-152, 2014.
- P. Ladeveze, L. Chamoin, The constitutive relation error: a general verification tool, in Verifying Calculations - Forty Years on, Eds L. Chamoin, P. Diez, Springer Brief, 59-94, 2015.
- P. Ladeveze, D. Neron, H. Bainier, A Virtual Testing Approach for Laminated Composites Based on Micromechanics, in The Structural Integrity of Carbon Fiber Composites, Fifty Years of Progress and Achievement of the Science, Development, and Applications. Eds P. W. R. Beaumont and C. Soutis, Springer, 667-698, 2017.
INTERNATIONAL COURSES, INCLUDING
- J. Fish, M. Geers, P. Ladeveze, P. Papadropoulos, P. Wriggers, T. Zohdi. Advanced School on Multiscale Modeling and Design of New Materials. Udine. July 4-8, 2005 (6 lectures).
- H. Attenbach, R. De Borst, B. Karihaloo, P. Ladeveze, Z. Mroz, T. Sadowski. Advanced School on Multiscale Modeling of Damage and Fracture Processes in Composite Materials. Udine. May 24-28, 2004 (6 lectures).
- Y. Maday, A. Huerta, P. Diez, E. Nadal, J. Rodenas, P. Ladeveze, L. Chamoin. Verfying Calculations - Forty Years on, ADMOS Nantes, 7 June, 2015.
As lecturer and chair:
- D. Guedra-Degeorges, P. Ladeveze. Course on Emerging Techniques for Damage Prediction and Failure Analysis of Laminated Composite Structures. Cachan. March 2007 (4 Days), November 2008 (3 days).
- F. Chinesta, P. Ladeveze. Separated Representations and PGD-based Model Reduction: Fundamentals and Applications. CISME courses, Udine (Italy). July 8-12, 2013.